Monday, April 18, 2011

The Story of Ferdinand


 The Story of Ferdinand (c. 1936) by Munro Leaf with drawings by Robert Lawson celebrates it's 75th anniversary this year.  Who could resist a tale that starts:


Oh, I could just spend hours daydreaming about that first page illustration alone!  Read about the aesthetic bull Ferdinand and his affinity for pleasant scents . . . particularly of flowers.  This aesthete finds that his fondness for fragrance shapes the events in his life.  Together, Leaf and Lawson deliver a humorous spin on Spain's hazardous bull fights that you won't want to miss!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my all time favorites. I never knew it as a kid, but I bought it at a yard sale for my kiddos. When we bought our second dog, I wanted to name him Ferdinand after this sweet bull (but the name Bo was everyone else's choice). I am dying to go to Spain to see what a cork tree really looks like.

    Thank you for keeping this sweet book 'alive'. XOL

    ReplyDelete