Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Vivaldi's Four Seasons

The seasons tend to strongly impact my book choices.  I get all excited anticipating a season, and check out tons of books to bide the time of those few last weeks when the present season has exhausted all of its initial delights.

So let me share with you the wonderful experience that presented itself last spring.  We discovered that musicians from our town's symphony/orchestra come monthly to our local library to introduce instruments from a different section of the symphony in correspondence with a book read by an artist from the children's theater.  Were we in for a treat!!!  We saw the stringed quintet playing selections from Antonio Vivaldi's Four Seasons Concerto while the book I, Vivaldi by Janice Shefelman, illustrated by Tom Shefelman was read.  I had chills just watching my children experience it all!

I strongly recommend you check out this book!  We were put on a waiting list for months before we were able to take it home.  The illustrations are beautiful and the story wonderful.  My mom had me come to her class and reenact the whole thing (with my trusty CD this time).  So when you check out I, Vivaldi, be sure to check out Vivaldi's Four Seasons to play in the background as you read.  You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment